Covenant of Mayors
The Covenant of Mayors is the world’s largest movement for local climate and energy actions.
MINARET utilizes Covenant of Mayors as a platform to enable municipalities in practicing longer term climate action planning and implementation of projects.
MINARET supported Al-Karak, Monastir and Jdaidet el Chouf municipalities to join the Covenant of Mayors by providing technical support in identification of solutions for reduction of CO2 emission through improvement of energy efficiency and renewable energy use, the preparation of BEI (Baseline Emission Inventory) and of SEAP (Sustainable Energy Action Plan) / SECAP (Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan) based on the Covenant of Mayors methodology.
By joining the Covenant of Mayors, municipalities will have more credibility and better opportunity in reaching donors and receiving grants or investments from funding agencies, international donors, financial institutions and/or the private sector.
MINARET supports municipalities in joining the Covenant of Mayors through the following steps:
- Prepare a Baseline Emission Inventory (BEI), a quantification of the amount of CO2 emitted due to energy consumption in the territory within a given period of time, the recommended base year is the closest year with available data, to allow identifying the principal sources of CO2 emissions and their respective reduction potentials.
- Prepare a Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP), approved by the municipal council, outlining the measures and policies that will be developed to achieve the objectives of the Covenant of Mayors, according to the SEAP guidelines, and outlining the key actions they plan to undertake that contribute to CO2 reduction by 2030.
- Prepare regularly reports stating the degree of progress of the implementation of the programs and the interim results for evaluation, monitoring and veriﬁcation purposes.
- Provide advisory services to the Municipality, including designated staff, to improve the framework conditions for the increase of the energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy solutions.
- Successfully joining the Covenant of Mayors.
About the Covenant of Mayors
The Covenant of Mayors was launched by the European Commission after adopting the EU Climate and Energy package in 2008, to help local authorities’ efforts in the implementation of sustainable energy policies.
Specifically, Covenant signatories are committed to increasing energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy sources on their territories, supporting the European Union 20% CO2 reduction objective to be reached by 2020. For this purpose Covenant signatories undertake to prepare a Baseline Emission Inventory, a Sustainable Energy Action Plan outlining the key actions they plan to undertake, and implementation reports for evaluation, monitoring and veriﬁcation purposes, in order to translate their political commitment into concrete measures and projects.
Moreover, in order to mobilize local stakeholders and gain their support, Covenant signatories must share experience and know-how with other local authorities; organize Local Energy Days to raise citizens’ awareness of sustainable development and energy efficiency; attend or contribute to the Covenant of Mayors annual ceremony, conduct thematic workshops and discussion group meetings; spread the message of the Covenant in the appropriate fora and, in particular, encourage other mayors to join the Covenant.